Everything about the CE-certificate for motorcycle clothing!

To be safe on the road, it is important to have clothes that suit your riding style. Now you're probably wondering what requirements your next outfit should meet? In this blog we will explain what to look for, so you are able to find the right outfit that suits your needs and driving style.

Are CE-Certificates in motorbike clothing mandatory?


As of April 2018, all motorcycle clothing placed on the market must bear the new PPE CE-certificate. Earlier (before 2018) there was a certificate for motorbike clothing, but this certificate was only mandatory for professionals (like motorbike couriers for example). The average motorcyclist was not considered a professional, but a recreational rider. As a consequence, the motorcycle clothing industry did not have to comply with this certification as most riders were considered to be recreational riders. Because there were no requirements for motorcycle clothing at the time, consumers could not know whether their leather jacket really offered protection. In recent years, however, the requirements for motorcycle clothing have been tightened up considerably. Every piece of motorcycling clothing needs to be CE-approved in order to guarantee safety. The CE-certification for motorbike clothing is officially known as the EN-17092 standard.

In short, do you still have motorcycle gear from before 2018, or do you just need a new outfit? Make sure you buy EN-17092 approved clothing! This way, you can be sure that your new outfit meets the minimum requirements.

What are the differences within the CE mark for motorbike clothing?


The CE-mark indicates whether a product complies with the legal requirements of the European Union. The CE certificate EN-17092 can be subdivided into 3 classification groups: A, B and C. Below this paragraph there is a brief overview of the different labels you may come across:

  • The A, AA, AAA label provides protection against impact, abrasion and tear resistance;
  • The B label provides abrasion and tear resistance only;
  • The C label provides impact protection only;

As you can see, the "A group" is divided into three grades, namely A, AA and AAA. The difference in these grades lies mainly in the guidelines that the product must meet. Products are assessed on various factors such as durability, strength of the seams, washability and the number of standard protectors included. The A and B labels are equal in terms of wear resistance, but a pair of trousers can, for example, only earn the A label if standard knee protectors are included. The "C group" is further divided into CO and CU labels; where CO is for products that must be worn over an abrasion-resistant layer and CU is for products that must be worn under (Under) an abrasion-resistant layer.

To see if the 2-piece suit which you have in mind is CE approved, you do not have to look further than this label!

Which label should I choose for my motorbike clothing?


Are you one of those so-called 'recreational riders'? Then we at ChromeBurner would always recommend choosing clothing with at least an A label! That way, in case of an accident, you will have impact protection and wear resistance. Whether a piece of motorcycle clothing is allowed to carry the A, AA or AAA label is mainly determined by the 'wear and tear' factor. To put it simple: The longer a product stays in one piece under friction, the higher it scores. However, abrasion resistance is not the only assessment criterion that is looked at. Every garment with at least an A label must offer some form of CE-classified impact protection. The testing and certification of protectors is an entirely different story, but for now it is sufficient to know that clothing with an 'A' label has approved protectors.

Furthermore, it is good to know that clothing is always labeled according to the area in which they perform the least. As you can see from the table on the left, a pair of trousers that, for example, could have easily received an AAA label in terms of wear resistance and strength of the seams, still receives an AA label if they do not have hip protectors.


To conclude, there are many options when it comes to safety, but the most important thing is to look at what clothing type fits your driving style the best . If you usually ride on quiet back roads, an A-certified product could be sufficient. Of course, you are not obliged to wear protective clothing, but be aware of the consequences. If you want to know more about the products, you could take a look at our product range or contact our customer service for more information.